Voting by mail is a healthy option because you vote at home. If you go out at all, it's only to mail or drop off your ballot.
Voting by mail is also called mail-in or absentee voting in Missouri.
Deadline to return your ballot
Election Day, August 4 by 7:00 pm. All ballots must be delivered to the elections office by this time. Postmarks don’t count!
Postage is pre-paid, so you don’t need a stamp.
How to get your ballot
Voters with certain excuses, including high COVID risk, can request an absentee ballot. All other voters can request a mail-in ballot.
The deadline to request a ballot is July 22, 2020.
- Download, print, and mail a request form.
- Call or visit your local elections office.
If you missed the deadline to request a ballot, contact your elections office for any last-minute or emergency options.
How to return your ballot
**Mail-in** ballots can only be returned by mail and require a notary signature. **Absentee ballots** can be returned by mail or in person. No notary signature is required for voters using the COVID excuse.
- Put it in your own mailbox for the mail carrier to collect.
- Put it in a Post Office blue mailbox.
- Take it to a post office.
Make sure your ballot counts! Remember...
Be sure to sign the declaration on the return envelope.
Return your ballot promptly. Postmarks don't count!
Healthy tips for voting by mail in Missouri
- If you return your ballot at a mailbox or drop box, wash your hands afterwards for 20 seconds.
- If you go out to drop off your ballot, practice physical distancing and wear a mask or other face covering to protect yourself and others.
- Practice physical distancing by stepping in and stepping back when handing off and picking up your ballot from a witness.
When you vote in person on Election Day, you go to a voting center to mark and cast your ballot in person. Voting centers also have accessible voting systems and language access options.
Polling places are open from 6:00 am to 7:00 pm.
All polling places are open on Election Day.
- All voters are asked to show a photo ID.
Healthy tips for voting in person on Election Day in Missouri
- Follow instructions for healthy voting at your in-person voting location.
- Wear a mask or other face covering, and maintain a physical distance of 6 feet to protect yourself, election workers, and other voters.
- Before and after voting, wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Or use hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- If you can, go when the voting center will not be as busy, usually mid-morning or early-afternoon.
Post on Twitter Share on Facebook Download PDF Pocket Guide
How to fold your PDF Pocket Guide